I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

Friday, September 18, 2020

Oh Say Can You Fudge by Nancy Coco (Candy-Coated mysteries #3)



Oh Say Can You Fudge

(Candy-Coated Mysteries #3)

by Nancy CoCo


Kindle Edition, 288 pages

Published April 28th 2015 by Kensington





Goodreads synopsis: 

Allie McMurphy is busy making yummy fudge for the summer holiday--until murder gives her something else to chew on. . .


Red, White, And Boom


It's not Fourth of July on Mackinac Island without fireworks and fudge. The Historic McMurphy Hotel and Fudge Shop is supplying the treats--and Allie has hired Rodney Rivers, the biggest name in aerial displays, to create an unforgettable spectacle. Unfortunately, Allie finds him dead, covered with screaming chicken fireworks, just before the entire warehouse of pyrotechnics goes up in smoke. Is it arson or is it murder? Allie and her bichonpoo, Mal, must sift through the suspects until the killer is caught and the island can enjoy a star-spangled celebration.



***


4.5 stars


This is the third book in the Candy-Coated mystery series by Nancy Coco.


When I first opened this book I wasn’t sure if this was for me. But as I started reading it, I was totally digging it and found it was an awesome read. What was my problem, right? I guess you just can’t judge a book by its cover or by its title. I am not sure what had me so flummoxed. Most cozy mysteries have odd titles and contain foodie references. I know this. I am a cozy reading expert for heavens sake.


Once I got over my weird issues, I found the jewel in the mix.


This book was very well written and the mystery was just spot on. I was totally invested along with the protagonist from almost page one. I love the cast and the addition of the new cat into the mix seemed to be a fun secondary storyline that made me laugh.


I really liked the idea of the two guys who were romantically linked to  Allie: Detective Rex and Trent. This concept seems to go over very well in cozy book land and I always look forward to who is in the protagonist’s life at the moment.


The book start off literally with a bang when the pyrotechnic guy gets himself blown up right before the fourth of July fireworks extravaganza for Mackinac Island. Allie is pulled into the story since she is on the city board who hired the pyrotechnic guy and if they don’t have fireworks for the fourth, someone on the council is going to lose their mind and blame Allie! So she is totally invested in finding the killer once she realizes that he is dead and Rex keeps her from getting herself blown up.


Real fun story. Loved it so much. Definitely a series I want to continue with.


If you like cozy mysteries, definitely check this one out. You won’t be disappointed.


I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment