I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

Monday, August 31, 2020

Thread and Dead (Apron Shop series #2) by Elizabeth Penney


Thread and Dead

Paperback, 288 pages
Published August 25th 2020 by St. Martin's Press




Goodreads synopsis: 
Tragedy strikes in Thread and Dead, the second book in Elizabeth Penney's cozy mystery series--and now everyone in Blueberry Cove, Maine, is on pins and needles. . .

Iris Buckley is busier than ever this July, with the town's annual Lobster Festival fast approaching. In just a matter of days her apron shop Ruffles & Bows, will be jam-packed with tourists--and Iris's inventory is running low. Then Iris gets a call from Eleanor Brady, a wealthy, reclusive spinster who just happens to have trunks full of vintage fabrics. Would Iris like to come down to Eleanor's cottage estate Shorehaven and have a look?

Before long Iris is on the scene--and on the case. Turns out that Eleanor has rented Shorehaven to the handsome, charismatic environmentalist Dr. Lukas de Wilde and his flock of students. What begins as an apron-scouting endeavor soon morphs into a full-blown murder investigation when Dr. de Wilde's beautiful young teaching assistant turns up dead. Now it's up to Iris--along with her partner-in-love-and-crime Ian Stewart--to unravel the mystery before the Blueberry Cove killer strikes again.

***

4.5 stars

This is the second book in the Apron Shop mystery series by Elizabeth Penney.

When I first heard about this concept for a mystery series, I was a bit skeptical. It is all based around an apron and linens shop called Ruffles & Bows. I guess I couldn’t fathom how such a shop would be sustainable nowadays. But the great stories the author puts out around this concept has just made me love the concept. I am a believer now. I even wonder if I could make my own apron to use at home while I cook.

This story follows Iris as she goes to visit an elderly citizen of Blueberry Cove named Eleanor who has started renting out rooms in her lavish mansion to some Ag related professors who are growing algae. Then one of them ends up dead and Ivy and her friends discover the body while rock climbing.

This story was pretty complex and there were a lot of variables to take into account. Just when I thought I had fingered the bad guy, I discovered I was wrong! I love following the action and suspense and seeing how it all washes out in the end.  I love how the cast keeps growing and we learn more and more about the citizens of Blueberry Cove and their rich history. Just a fun series to follow.

If you like cozy mysteries, definitely check this one out. You won’t be disappointed.


I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment