I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

15 Minutes of Flame (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #3) by Christin Brecher


15 Minutes of Flame

Paperback, 304 pages
Expected publication: August 25th 2020 by Kensington Publishing Corporation



Goodreads synopsis: 
As Stella Wright's Nantucket candle store thrives, her knack for solving mysteries burns equally bright--especially when a Halloween haunted house uncovers evidence of a centuries-old murder . . .

When Stella's friend inherits a creaky, abandoned home in Nantucket, she knows it's the perfect setting for the town's annual Halloween fundraiser. A deserted, boarded-up building on the property--once used as a candle-making shop--adds to the creepy ambiance. But as Stella explores the shack's dilapidated walls, she discovers a terrible secret: the skeleton of a Quaker woman, wrapped in blood-soaked clothing and hidden deep within a stone hearth . . .

While police investigate, Stella wastes no time asking for help from friends with long ties to Nantucket's intricate history. The key to the murder may lie within a scorching 18th century love triangle that pit two best friends against one another over a dubious man. But before the case is solved, another life will be claimed--leaving Stella to wonder who in Nantucket is friend, and who is foe . . .


***

4.5 stars

This is the third book in the Nantucket Candle Maker mystery series by Christin Brecher.

There was a little bit of candle stuff in this book but really not enough to satisfy me. Don’t get my wrong, the mystery in this was compelling but I love everything candle related and I just wanted more.

I did have a bit of a niggle since I wasn’t sure all that happened in the seconds around the murder could have happened in such a short amount of time. But this is just me. Not like I had a stop watch and timed it all or anything.

Basically, Stella finds a dead body in the wall of a house she really wants to buy but is hesitant to take the plunge on. This turns out to be a local lady, a Quaker, with a bit of a story to tell that involves a serial killer and a hidden treasure that has had the town searching for clues for years. Just as they find the embroidered map on a piece of linen, the map is stolen and one of the men excavating it is murdered.

If you are not paying attention, this could be a bit of a mind bender. But overall it is a great read. I plan on reading other books in this series just to get my candle fix.

If you like cozy mysteries, definitely check this one out. You won’t be disappointed.


I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment