I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Hexing the Ex (House of Magic #1) by Susanna Shore

 



Hexing the Ex 

(House of Magic #1)

by Susanna Shore


ebook

Published June 6th 2021 by Crimson House Books





Synopsis: 

I didn’t expect to be evicted the first thing I returned from my holiday, but thanks to my roommate Nick, that’s what I was facing.


It’s not exactly easy to find a new place to live in London, so when Phoebe Thorpe spots a room-to-let sign at the window of a magic shop, she doesn’t hesitate. The room is perfect, even if chores are part of the rent. There is only one thing odd about her new landladies. They seem to believe magic exists.


Phoebe doesn’t believe in magic, but unfortunately magic believes in her. A mysterious statuette is sent to her boss, Archibald Kane, and she accidentally triggers a curse meant for him. Naturally, the first person she curses is her ex-boyfriend. But why would anyone want to curse her boss, a perfectly ordinary antiques dealer? Or is he?


Phoebe sets out to break the curse with the help of her new housemates. But it isn’t easy trying to solve a mystery she doesn’t even believe is real. Then again, that hellhound chasing her seemed pretty solid… Maybe there’s more to magic than hexing one’s ex.


This is the first book in House of Magic, a new series by Susanna Shore blending mystery and magic, with a resourceful heroine and plenty of action.


***


4.5 stars


This is the first book in the House of Magic series by Susanna Shore.


I thought this was a really interesting story. A non-magical person stumbles upon a room for let in a magical business. Now her life is completely different. She discovers her boss at the antiques dealer shop is really a super magical guy and he may have killed someone right in front of her.


I am really digging this house of magic world. I am waiting for book two in order to see if Phoebe finds a new man to lust over. It seems she has been pretty lacking in the decent man department. Her boyfriend cheats on her and then when the woman he dropped her for drops him, he wants Phoebe back. Typical, right? Phoebe keeps herself buys chasing after witches, running away from hellhounds and trying not to wish her friends into unforeseen circumstances. Did I mention the first thing that happens to her is that she gets cursed by a statue so when she wishes anything, it curses the person and her as well. They spend most of the book trying to break this curse and it is indeed a fun ride.


Highly recommended. If you love a good cozy mystery, definitely check this one out!


I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title. Opinions are completely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment