I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

I'm Your Reading Sleuth Header

Monday, July 13, 2020

Murder at the Playhouse (A Miss Underhay Mystery #3) by Helena Dixon


Murder at the Playhouse

Kindle Edition
Published June 30th 2020 by Bookouture


Goodreads synopsis: 
Late summer 1933. After a quarrel with too-plucky-for-her-own-good amateur sleuth Kitty Underhay, dashing ex-army captain Matthew Bryant is nursing his wounds, and a tumbler of brandy, when there’s a heavy knock at the door and he finds himself arrested for murder. The body of aspiring actress Pearl Bright has been found, strangled with one of Matt’s own bootlaces, and the evidence seems to be stacked against him.

The local constabulary might have locked Matt up, but before they can throw away the key, Kitty hears the news and hies to his aid, determined to prove his innocence. And when her investigations lead her to the home of retired theatre impresario Stanley Davenport, and the local amateur dramatics society, Kitty uncovers a web of deceit that stretches far beyond the stage make-up. But Kitty’s digging is bringing her to the attention of the killer. Without her partner in crime-fighting, can Kitty expose them and clear Matt’s name? Or will it be curtains for them both?

***

4.5 stars

This is the 3rd book in the Miss Underhay mystery series by Helena Dixon.

Kitty is at it again with another British inspired historical cozy mystery. She is drawn in to solve the murder of a young girl at the Playhouse. Matt is named a suspect on very little evidence which launches Kitty into investigation mode.

I was rather distressed as I read the sections of this story concerning Matt when he was in jail and losing hope each minute he was behind bars. This did not mirror the strong man I remembered from previous books. It makes me realize that we aren’t always strong all the time and sometimes we break down when we need to be strong. Luckily he gets out but is told to stay at Kitty’s large house.

It took me awhile to read this since I felt like there was a lot going on and I wanted to digest it all and understand what was happening between the characters. Great mystery and whodunit. I had a hard time deciding who the bad guy was.

Great story and plot, it really keeps you guessing. If you want to read a good historical cozy mystery, definitely check this one out. You won’t be disappointed.


I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment